The idea of building a railway linking Jerez de la Frontera and Almargen, dated back in 1926, would not be absent from major efforts and investments. A clear reflection of the magnitude of the civil work are more than 300 works of factory scattered away over 126 kms, which separate the two localities, such as roadways, sewers, tunnels, crossroads and, among them, four important viaducts.
Along the 36.5 kms. of the Sierra Greenway, we have four really impressive viaducts:
- The Azares viaduct, in the stream of the same name, which is 65 metres in length and it is located between the ‘Junta de los Ríos’ and Puerto Serrano.
- The viaduct of Gillete with 83 metres long and located between the ‘Junta de Los Ríos’ and the Castle Tunnel.
- In Coripe, that of the ‘Partridge’ (Viaducto de la Perdiz”), with 237 metres in length and 13 arches to save the Guadalporcún river.
- and the existing half a kilometer beyond the stop of Zaframagón, with 135 metres in length, 22 metres high and 7 arches with 10 metres wide each.
All of them have the same structural model, except the Viaduct of the Partridge, which presents a large central arch of 25 metres wide. The construction of the viaducts were made from 1930 using complicated scaffolds and wooden formwork to place the stone ashlars coming from the area.