The Greenways run along disused railway lines converted to allow access for people and un-motorized vehicles. It is hoped that they will be one of the region’s motors of economic development.
These roads help the visitor get to know the areas he or she is passing through.
They have a series of specific features:
- Easy access: the slight or virtually non-existent slopes mean easy access for all types of users, including those with limited mobility.
- Safety: this is due to the route’s distance from motorized traffic routes, and protective measures wherever these intersect.
- Continuity of routes with suitable alternative solutions in case of obstacles.
- Respect for the environment along the Vías, inviting users to respect it.
The Greenways provide services situated in preserved old facilities, such as the railway stations and lock houses.
- promote communication and local non-motorized journeys: thousands of kilometers of tracks across european countries are available to pedestrians, cyclists, horse riders and those with limited mobility.
- encourage a healthier and more balanced lifestyle and transport style, reducing congestion and pollution.
- boost rural development, active tourism and local employment.
- encourage more human relationships among citizens.
- bring the natural and cultural environment closer to inhabitants and visitors.
Know here all greenways in Andalusia.